Facial massage is a great way to relax, look better, and relieve stress or pain. While you can hire a professional to give you a relaxing rubdown, you don’t have to run out to the spa for relief. It’s surprisingly simple to learn how to give a relaxing facial to yourself in the privacy of your own home, by following the same steps that the pros use. If you’ve been feeling a little tense, why not carve out half an hour of your day and follow these tips for relaxation?
- Choose an essential oil that suits your skin type and appeals to your sense of smell.
- Remember that less is more. Rub only a few drops of oil into your face.
- This is a great time to exercise your face. Open your mouth wide, extending your jaw, and make the biggest smile that you can. This stretches the muscles in your jaw and face.
- Stroke your face using an upward sweeping motion. This will gently lift the skin, while discouraging wrinkle formation.
- Pinch the skin between your eyebrows. While doing this, you can often feel the stress flow right out of your face. It’s also a great way to relieve sinus pressure.
- Massage any frown lines above your nose with both your index fingers to pull them upwards, towards your eyebrows. Be gentle. You don’t want to pull roughly on your skin.
- Push the tip of your nose up while pulling your upper lip down, over your teeth. Hold this position for a few seconds before releasing, and you’ll be surprised by how much tension you had in that area.
- Use small, circular movements from the bridge of your nose downward towards your nostrils. Use the middle finger of both your hands, and you may be able to feel your lymph nodes draining from under your skin as you massage.
- Don’t neglect your neck. Not only do you carry a lot of tension in that area, your neck can also benefit from the extra moisturizer.
- Finish off with some stroking movements in an upward manner, lightly lifting the skin. This will help settle everything in place and put a nice topper on your massage.
Nothing beats a professional facial massage, but these tips will help keep you relaxed easily and inexpensively. Performing a facial massage a couple of times a week will go a long way toward keeping your skin elastic and healthy.
If you’d like to learn more about the benefits of massage, contact your chiropractor. She’ll be able to refer you to a trained masseuse who can help you stay healthy and relaxed. In this 24 hour a day society we live in, everyone can use all the relaxation they can get.
This article is made available for general, entertainment and educational purposes only. The opinions expressed herein do not necessarily reflect those of The Joint Corp (or its franchisees and affiliates). You should always seek the advice of a licensed healthcare professional.